What is alcohol blowtorch?
Alcohol blowtorch definition
, also called alcohol torch
, is a common heat source for the laboratory to strengthen the heat with the instrument, compared with the alcohol lamp it can reach a higher temperature, can meet the "high temperature" condition, and the flame temperature can reach about 1000 ℃, commonly used in the heating of laboratory glass instruments.
Alcohol blowtorch is one of the common heat sources used in experiments, mainly for experiments that require enhanced heat, glass processing, etc.
Advantages of using alcohol blowtorch
Compared with the ordinary alcohol burner, an alcohol blowtorch is better for some operations that require higher temperatures, such as the drawing of glass capillaries. In this case, an alcohol torch can be used to better effect.
Alcohol blowtorch working principle
The working principle of the alcohol torch is as follows:
First, the heat generated by the burning of ethanol in the preheating plate heats the ethanol rising along the wick in the preheating tube and causing the ethanol to vaporize in large quantities. Since there is no air in the preheating tube, the ethanol vapor that is vaporized at high temperatures does not burn. Therefore, driven by the pressure, ethanol vapor from the nozzle into the nozzle, and in the nozzle with the air mixture, by ignition to start the combustion. Also due to the thermal conductivity of the torch, once it is ignited, the temperature of the flame at the nozzle is sufficient to maintain a continuous stream of ethanol vaporization and through the nozzle into the nozzle.
Flame temperature is largely influenced by the air-fuel ratio of the mixture in the nozzle. The air-to-fuel ratio is the ratio of the amount of air to fuel within the air-to-fuel mixture. The air adjustment lever regulates the air intake to the alcohol torch nozzle and thus the air-fuel ratio. Increasing the air intake within the proper range allows the flame temperature to reach a very desirable high temperature.
So why is it possible to achieve higher temperatures with an alcohol torch? A large part of the reason is that the alcohol torch uses the lamp to enrich the steam and the heat generated by its combustion, and the air-fuel ratio can be adjusted to obtain maximum combustion and heating efficiency. Most of the heat generated by the combustion of the alcohol lamp is dissipated with the convection of the airflow around the flame. Therefore, although the temperature of the alcohol lamp also reaches 800 ℃, generally its heating is much milder.
Types of alcohol blowtorch
Seated alcohol blowtorch
Seated alcohol blowtorch is mainly composed of alcohol inlet, preheating bowl, preheating tube, combustion tube, adjusting rod, adjusting tube, etc.. The preheating tube and the combustion tube are welded together, with a thin tube connected in the middle, so that the evaporated alcohol vapor is sprayed out from the nozzle and burned in the combustion tube. By adjusting the adjustment tube, the size of the flame is controlled.
Hanging alcohol blowtorch
Hanging alcohol blowtorch, consisting of the lamp body, hose, and lamp pot. The lamp body is made of metal and the spout is made of full copper, which is high temperature resistant and not deformed, suitable for chemical laboratory, glass instrument processing, handicraft making, and other places where the heat source is needed. Its firepower can reach more than 1000 degrees Celsius because the alcohol pot is hanging in the high work, you can add alcohol to the pot at any time, so the blowtorch can be used continuously, the use is not limited by time.
Alcohol blowtorch specifications and features
Copper seated alcohol blowtorch
Alcohol capacity: 300ml
Type: Seated alcohol blowtorch
Copper seated alcohol blowtorch is made of full copper, high-temperature resistance, fast heating, more solid, and longer service life.
Equipped with a fire adjustment lever, you can adjust the size of the fire to meet the temperature requirements of different experiments.
Hanging alcohol blowtorch
Alcohol capacity: 250ml
Hanging alcohol blowtorch is made of high-quality copper, thickened material, and is more durable.
The fire is fierce, can reach high-temperature heating, is adaptable, and can be applied to classroom laboratory materials.
Simple and portable, alcohol storage tank hanging in a high place, to ensure safety.
Alcohol blowtorch and alcohol burner and Bunsen burner
Alcohol burner and Bunsen burner information
is also a tool that uses ethanol
as a fuel to achieve heating purposes, and can also be sterilized by burning the instrument.
is a device that uses gas or natural gas as fuel to heat experimental samples, usually at a higher combustion temperature than ordinary alcohol lamps, but lower than alcohol blowtorches.
Comparison of alcohol blowtorch, alcohol burner and Bunsen burner
Laboratory common open-flame heating apparatus is roughly the following table of three categories, can see their respective characteristics.
|Heat source||Flame temperature||Fuel||General Purpose||Features
|Alcohol blowtorch||Approx. 1000°C||95% ethanol||Burning solids, melting crystals at high temperatures, glasswork, and other processes requiring strong heating||More stable flame and flexible firepower adjustment.
|Bunsen burner||800~900℃||Gas||Burning solids, melting crystals at high temperatures, glasswork, and other processes requiring strong heating.||More stable flame and flexible firepower adjustment.
The operation is more complicated, and for unskilled experimenters, such high temperatures can easily cause danger
|Alcohol burner||400~600℃, however, it may reach 800℃||Ethanol, not requiring high concentration||Heats general liquids; promotes general chemical reactions.||The operation is simple; however, it is difficult to melt the glass, and the flame will be disturbed by the airflow and drift. Today's laboratories mostly use electric heaters with magnetic stirrers instead of the
How to use alcohol blowtorch?
Different types of alcohol torches have different methods of use, the following are the instructions for the use of seated alcohol torches and hanging alcohol torches.
Use of seated alcohol blowtorch
Unscrew the alcohol filling plug on the pot, and pour the alcohol through the funnel into the pot to between 2/5 and 2/3 of the total capacity of the pot, not too full and not too little. Too full is prone to danger, too little is the wicked line will be scorched, affecting the combustion effect. Tighten the screw plug so as not to make leakage.
Note: As the alcohol vapor spout in the lamp is thin (common model diameter of 0.55 mm), it is easy to be blocked by ash particles, etc., which makes it difficult to ignite. Therefore, each time before use to check the spout, if found blocked, should be used through the needle or a fine steel needle will be spout stabbed through. For new lamps or long unused blowtorch, the lamp body needs to be inverted 2 to 3 times before ignition, so that the wick is soaked in alcohol.
2. Preheating and ignition
Place the seated torch on an asbestos sheet or a large asbestos screen (to prevent the alcohol from catching fire when preheating), and turn the air regulator to minimize the air inlet hole. Fill the preheating tray with about 2/3 of the volume of alcohol and ignite it. When the alcohol in the preheat tube is heated and vaporized and ejected from the nozzle, the flame burning in the preheat plate will ignite the ejected alcohol vapor. Sometimes it is also necessary to use a match to ignite.
3. When the nozzle flame is ignited, the air intake is then adjusted by the air adjustment lever to bring the flame to the desired temperature. In general, the more air that enters, the higher the flame temperature.
4. Flame out
When you stop using, you can use asbestos net or scrap wood board flat pressure to cover the mouth of the nozzle, the flame can generally be extinguished. While covering the mouth of the tube, you can also use a wet cloth to cool the lamp holder and adjust the air intake to extinguish the flame. Later, pad a piece of cloth to loosen the plug on the body of the pot, so that the alcohol vapor released from the light pot.
5. After using the blowtorch, the remaining alcohol should be poured out.
Use of hanging alcohol blowtorch
1. Use the funnel to pour 95% purity alcohol into the alcohol pot, then hang aside, open the valve on the side of the lamp body, so that the alcohol flows into the lamp body along the tube, and wait for the wick to soak through before starting the ignition so as not to scorch the wick.
2. Then inject alcohol into the ignition bowl, so that does not spill outward as well, lit with a match, to be burned in the ignition bowl of alcohol only half of the time slowly adjust the wind-blocking piece of the hole to align with the ventilation hole, the fire will gradually increase.
3. After the temperature rises, the nozzle of the hanging alcohol torch begins to spray flame upward. Flame size can be adjusted through the valve and wind blocker. If you do not spit fire, you can use a match to ignite the spit, if not spit fire, you can add alcohol to the ignition bowl in the second, and repeat the ignition action. Still do not spit fire, you must check the cause.
4. When the work is completed, the valve on the side of the lamp body will be closed, the flame will be slowly extinguished.
Precautions for using alcohol blowtorch
1. When using an alcohol torch, no additional heating source is allowed.
2. In the process of use, you should always pay attention to the smooth flow of the flame spray nozzle to prevent blockage.
3. Alcohol blowtorch work, should pay attention to the surrounding environment, try to avoid flammable items, the room temperature should not be too high.
4. Alcohol blowtorch work is completed, do not immediately touch with your hands, so as not to cause scalding accidents.
5. Put a long time before the use of alcohol blowtorch with a metal needle of about 0.6mm in diameter to unclog the nozzle to avoid clogging the nozzle.
6. Blowtorch continuous use time of 30 to 40 minutes is appropriate. Use too long, the temperature of the light pot gradually rise, resulting in excessive pressure inside the pot, the blowtorch will be in danger of collapse, the use of cold wet cloth wrapped around the lower end of the torch to reduce the temperature.
7. When using the alcohol torch, if you find that the bottom of the can is raised, stop using it immediately and check whether the spout is blocked, whether the alcohol has spilled and so on. To identify the cause, remove the fault and then use.
How to order alcohol blowtorch?
ANTITECK provide lab equipment, lab consumable, manufacturing equipment in life sciences sector.
If you are interested in our alcohol blowtorch or have any questions, please write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will reply to you as soon as possible.