1. What is radiation sterilization?
1.1. Radiation sterilization definition
1.2. Application of radiation sterilization
2. Advantages of using radiation sterilization
3. Radiation method of sterilization
4. Types of radiation sterilization
4.1. Ultraviolet radiation sterilization
4.2. Ionizing radiation sterilization
5. Radiation sterilization equipment specifications
5.1. Infrared radiation sterilization equipment
5.2. Gamma irradiation sterilization equipment
5.3. Ultraviolet sterilization equipment
6. Precautions for using radiation sterilization
7. How to order radiation sterilization equipment?
What is radiation sterilization?
Radiation sterilization definition
is a method of sterilizing disposable medical supplies using the ability of ionizing radiation to kill disease-causing microorganisms to eliminate their toxic effects, mainly through the germicidal effect of ultraviolet light, which causes photolysis and denaturation of bacterial proteins, resulting in the death of bacteria. It is superior to the heating method and ethylene oxide chemical disinfection method, is developing rapidly, and is a very successful example of radiation processing. Materials used for external sterilization supplies include metals such as needles and blades, plastics such as syringes and catheters, rubber gloves, cotton fiber gauze, bandages, and glass product reagent bottles.Radiation disinfection
in the far-infrared radiation and microwave radiation is the use of high-tech to generate a high-temperature source of insecticide sterilization of a new method. The artifacts are put into the far-infrared baking cabinet or baking room, using the thermal effect generated by far-infrared radiation, energy conversion, so that the internal molecules of the material produce intense resonance phenomenon, molecular movement intensified, to achieve high-temperature insecticide sterilization effect. Its irradiation temperature is around 60℃, and the time should not be too long, otherwise, it will also make the texture and color of the fabric change. It is often used to sterilize food raw materials in powder forms, such as pepper powder and cumin powder, with the time limit.
Application of radiation sterilization
Radiation sterilization is now widely used in the sterilization process of medical devices. since the 70's, plastic and other synthetic chemical materials are increasingly used to make medical devices, in order to prevent cross-infection, many medical devices are developed in the direction of single-use, the use of radiation sterilization of the type and number of increasing, rapid development.
Advantages of using radiation sterilization
Radiation sterilization of medical instruments has many advantages compared to general methods:
1. Radiation sterilization can be treated at room temperature (cold disinfection)
2. Strong penetrating power of radiation, uniform and thorough disinfection, no harmful residues.
3. Easy to collect and process, high effect, high reliability, and easy to operate continuously.
4. Low cost and cheap treatment.
Radiation method of sterilization
UVC lamp sterilization method
UVC belongs to the electromagnetic wave radiation, the strongest wavelength range of sterilization is 250-270nm.
Usage: Commonly used for disinfection of air and surfaces of articles.
Method: Timed from 5 to 7 minutes after the lamp is lit.
① Air disinfection: effective distance not more than 2m, irradiation time 20 ~ 30 minutes.
② Item disinfection: effective distance not more than 25～60cm, irradiation time 20～30 minutes.
Ozone sterilization lamp method
Sterilization by using the powerful oxidation of ozone.
Usage: Mainly used for disinfection of air, hospital sewage, treatment water and surface of articles.
Method: When using, doors and windows should be closed, personnel should leave the room and enter only 30 minutes after the disinfection is finished.
Cold sterilization method
The ionizing radiation sterilization method, also known as cold sterilization, is suitable for sterilizing items that are not heat-resistant, such as rubber, plastics, polymers such as disposable syringes, blood transfusion sets, precision medical instruments, biomedical products, birth control devices, and metals.
Microwave sterilization method
Microwave sterilization can kill bacterial propagules, fungi, viruses, bacterial buds, fungal spores, and other microorganisms. It is commonly used in the treatment of food and tableware, the disinfection of laboratory documents and tickets, the disinfection and sterilization of medical drugs, and heat-resistant non-metallic materials and instruments. It cannot be used for the disinfection of metal objects.
Types of radiation sterilization
Ultraviolet radiation sterilization
UV irradiation sterilization is one of the most economical and convenient methods. The disinfected items are exposed to sunlight or placed under artificial UV lamps, using UV light, scorching, and drying to inactivate pathogenic microorganisms and achieve the purpose of disinfection. This method is more suitable for disinfection of bedding, utensils, and personnel entering and leaving livestock and poultry enclosures, and is important for disinfection of contaminated soil, pastures, and site surfaces.
Functions: Ultraviolet light is a kind of radiation invisible to the naked eye, which can kill various microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi, viruses, and rickettsiae. Generally speaking, Gram-negative bacteria are the most sensitive to UV light, followed by Gram-positive cocci, and bacterial spores and fungal spores are the most resistant. Viruses can also be inactivated by UV light, and their resistance is between bacterial propagules and budding spores. Highly resistant are Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus subtilis bacteriophages, Holococcus spp., radiation-resistant Micrococcus spp., and Orange Octococcus; moderately resistant are Micrococcus spp., Salmonella typhimurium, Streptococcus lactis, Saccharomyces spp. and Protozoa; and lowly resistant are Cowpox virus, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus Vulgaris, Legionella spp.
Ionizing radiation sterilization
Ionizing radiation is radiation that carries enough energy to make electrons in atoms or molecules of matter free, thus causing ionization phenomena in these atoms or molecules, at wavelengths less than 100 nm, including cosmic rays, X-rays and radiation from radioactive substances.
Ionizing radiation is characterized by short wavelengths, high frequencies and high energies. Ionizing radiation can emit one or several electrons from atoms, molecules or other bound states. Ionizing radiation is a general term for all radiation that can cause ionization of matter, and there are many types of it. High-speed charged particles include alpha particles, beta particles, protons, and uncharged particles include neutrons as well as X-rays and gamma rays.
Therefore, where the use of rays, Röntgen rays or electronic radiation can penetrate the items, killing the microorganisms in the low-temperature sterilization method, collectively referred to as ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation is low temperature sterilization, no heat exchange, pressure difference and diffusion layer interference, suitable for sterilized items that are afraid of heat, has many advantages over other sterilization methods such as chemical sterilization, thermal sterilization, etc. It is also a widely used sterilization method in the medical device, pharmaceutical, health, food and breeding industries.
Radiation sterilization equipment specifications
Infrared radiation sterilization equipment
Ionising radiation sterilizationFeatures:
1. Infrared radiation sterilization
equipment adops intelligent control, the temperature deviation of computer numerical control is small, and the sterilization is instantaneous in a few seconds.
2. Equipped with automatic pipe cleaning, simple and fast.
3. Adopt food grade 316L stainless steel material, high temperature and corrosion resistant.
Gamma irradiation sterilization equipment
Ionising radiation sterilizationFeatures: Gamma irradiation sterilization equipment
took shape in the 1950s and has evolved into the most commonly used irradiation sterilization technology. Gamma irradiation is particularly well suited for batch sterilization because it penetrates well into many types of materials, products and packaging. This makes the technology particularly effective for processing dense products and large packages, including pallets.
At the heart of gamma irradiation is cobalt-60
, a radioactive isotope that produces gamma rays used to sterilize healthcare products.
Ultraviolet sterilization equipment
|Voltage power supply||220V/50Hz
|Chassis Material||304 stainless Steel
Type: Ultraviolet radiation sterilization
1. Ultraviolet radiation sterilization uses 304 stainless steel chassis shell material to build, moisture-proof, anti-oxidation, anti-corrosion, and more durable.
2. Adopt a mechanical timer switch, easy to use and convenient, and can set the required working time according to the demand.
3. System operating voltage is lower, effectively avoiding media breakdown short-circuit fault.
4. Adopt imported silicone door seal, good insulation, long-term oxygen resistance, anti-mold, good sealing, not easy to aging.
Precautions for using radiation sterilization
UV irradiation sterilization precautions
1. When UV irradiation sterilization is used for air disinfection, doors and windows should be closed, and the timing should be more than 60 minutes after the light is on for 5 minutes.
2. When disinfecting items with a UV disinfection lamp, spread or hang the items to expand the irradiation surface, the effective distance is 1 meter, and the irradiation can be about 30 minutes.
3. The environment should be kept clean and the irradiation time should be extended when the room temperature is below 20°C or the relative humidity exceeds 50%. After the floor is cleaned, wait for the floor to dry, and then disinfect the UV lamp.
4. The surface of the UV disinfection lamp should be kept clean and dust-free, and wiped with alcohol once a week.
5. Ultraviolet light has certain damage to human skin mucous membrane, long exposure to the light will appear redness, swelling, pain, itching, and flaking; the heavy may even cause cancer, skin tumors, etc. In addition, the UV disinfection lamp is the eye "invisible killer", the UV disinfection lamp irradiation, will cause conjunctiva, inflammation of the cornea and lead to cataracts and other diseases, so pay attention to do a good job when using protection, not to let the UV radiation directly to people.
Ionizing radiation sterilization precautions
1. Radiation source: food irradiation available ionizing radiation source for 60Co or 137Cs radionuclide generated γ rays, electron gas pedal generated energy of not more than 5MeV X-rays, electron gas pedal generated energy of not more than 10MeV electron beam.
2. Irradiator: The site selection, design and construction of irradiators should comply with relevant national standards to meet the health requirements of food irradiation processing.
3. Irradiator installation identification, operation identification and performance identification.
4. After the installation of the irradiator, the installation must be identified to ensure that the performance of the equipment can meet the design requirements; after the completion of the installation identification should be run to identify the equipment can be operated in accordance with the set procedures.
How to order radiation sterilization equipment?
ANTITECK provide lab equipment, lab consumable, manufacturing equipment in life sciences sector.
If you are interested in our radiation sterilization equipment or have any questions, please write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will reply to you as soon as possible.