What is centrifuge tubes?
In biotechnology laboratories, a tube combined with hemisphere-shaped bottom and cylinder which is used to hold radioactive or highly corrosive samples is called a centrifuge tube
, another name is the centrifugal tube
The Centrifugal tube is a kind of common laboratory consumable. The tested sample should be packed in it and then centrifuged in a centrifuge.
Centrifuge tube images
Types of centrifuge tubes
As a widely used experimental supply, there are many kinds of centrifugal tube.
Classification by Material
In biotechnology laboratories, the materials of centrifuge tubes are usually glass-made and plastic-made.
* Glass Centrifuge Tube
Glass centrifugal tubes can be adapted to most of the chemistry solvents when technicists operate the experiment. Though it is more expensive than plastic centrifugal tubes, it is more durable and easier clean. It can be cleaned with other laboratory glassware and sterilized by autoclave. But it is important to know that these tubes need to be handled very carefully. It is very fragile, even some small scratches can cause failure under the force applied during operation. Nevertheless, glass centrifuge tubes are still very popular with experimenters. An effective tip: in order to protect the fragile glass tube, it is suggested to insert the glass centrifuge tube into a soft rubber sleeve when used in the machine. Please note that glass centrifuge tubes cannot be used in high-speed or superfast centrifuge machines.
* Plastic Centrifuge Tubes
Plastic centrifugal tubes are usually considered as durable as glass-made tubes, it is not disposable. However, because of the particularity of the tested sample, it should be avoided to use repeat many times. In the contrast, the plastic one is easier to deform. Though, the reason why it is so popular is that it is very economic. It can be used in different kinds of centrifuge machines of different sizes. When handling the plastic centrifugal tubes do not need to handle them as carefully as glass centrifuge tubes. Its material is more resistant than that of glass centrifuge tubes when used. But it is often more difficult to clean thoroughly.
Following are different plastic materials:
1) Polypropylene (PP) Centrifuge Tube – This kind of material is often shown as semi-transparent. It has good chemical and temperature stability. But it will become brittle when operating at a low temperature, so please note that the operating temperature does not below 4℃.
2) Polycarbonate (PC) Centrifuge Tube – It has good transparency and hardness. It can be disinfection at a high temperature. But please note that do not use samples with strong acid, strong alkali or some organic solvents such as alcohol in it. It is mostly used in centrifuge machines with ultra-high speeds above 50,000 RPM.
3) Polyethylene (PE) Centrifuge Tube – It is opaque. When there are samples with acetone, acetic acid, and hydrochloric acid in it, it is non-reaction. It also has good stability. Under high temperatures, it is easy to become soft.
4) Polyamide (PA) Centrifuge Tube – The material of this tube is a polymer with PP (Polypropylene) and PE (Polyethylene). It is also semi-transparent and has good stability.
5) Polystyrene (PS) Centrifuge Tube -- It has good transparency and hardness. For Most of the aqueous solution, it shows stability. But it can be corroded by many kinds of organic compounds. This kind of tube is usually disposable.
6) Polyfluoride (PF) Centrifuge Tube – It can be used at low temperatures and has good transparency. It is suitable for the experimental environment at a temperature around -100℃ to 140℃.
7) Cellulose Acetate Butyrate (CAB) Centrifuge Tube – It has good transparency. It can be used for the determination of dilute acid, alkali, salt, alcohol, and sucrose gradient.
According to the different needs of buyers, ANTITECK will produce plastic centrifuge tubes in the materials as required.
Classification by size / capacity
There are many basic specifications of the laboratory centrifuge tubes. You can find the size in most of the centrifuge tube descriptions. Here below are the normal classification of the size of experimental centrifuge tubes.
Generally, centrifuge tubes with a capacity greater than 100ml are called centrifugal bottles or centrifugal vials.
|Centrifuge Tube||0.5ml, 1.5ml, 2ml, 5ml, 7ml, 10ml, 15ml, 50ml, 100ml
|Centrifuge Vials||250ml, 300ml, 500ml, 750ml, 1000ml, 2400ml
According to the capacity, the centrifuge tube can be divided into large capacity centrifuge tube, small capacity centrifuge tube and microcentrifuge tube.
Classification by the Shape of Bottom
Conical bottom, flat bottom and round bottom are the most common bottom shape of centrifuge tubes.
1) Conical Centrifuge Tube -- It is used for the experiment with the amount of tested sample is small. The precipitate is well-collected with the tip bottom so that the upper layer is easier to absorb with a pipette.
2) Flat Centrifuge Bottom Tube – The usage of it is the same as the conical centrifuge tube. But this kind of tube can be upright, which is more convenient to put and take in the experiment.
3) Round Bottom Centrifuge Tube -- It can be used for density gradient collection experiments. The round bottom has a large area and can withstand greater centrifugal force.
Use of centrifuge tube
In the international standard classification, the centrifuge tube
is involved into pipe parts and pipes, analytical chemistry as well.
Usually, in the biotechnology laboratory, centrifuge machines are used to separate samples like fluids, gases, or liquids based on density. The high-strength glass or plastic centrifuge tubes need to be matched up with centrifuge machines to use.
* Amicon Ultra
* Falcon® Tubes and Pipets
* Thermo Fisher Scientific
* Thermo Scientific™ Dionex™
Precautions before use
1) Be sure the centrifuge tube is matched up with the rotor of your centrifuge.
2) Ensure that the centrifuge tube is in a balanced state in the rotor.
3) In order to push the centrifuge to work smoothly, the amount of the centrifuge tube should be at least filled 80% of the tested sample.
4) Unscrew the cover completely before high temperature and high-pressure operation to avoid deformation.
Services that ANTITECK provide
Good Pre-sales and After-sales Service – A manufacturer which specialized in producing biotechnology laboratory equipment. Rich experiences of production and sales experience with good aftermarket.
How to order some centrifuge tubes?
ANTITECK provide lab equipment, lab consumable, manufacturing equipment in life sciences sector.
If you are interested in our centrifuge tubes or have any question, please write an e-mail to email@example.com, we will reply to you as soon as possible.